Friday, April 30, 2010

Final Blog Assignment: Honest Reflection of EDM 310

As I "honestly" reflect over my weeks in EDM 310 I reflect back to the first day of class. Listening to Dr. Strange and Mr. Sullivan explain the course was fuel to my fire. I was excited. Blogging seemed simple and it was just a tad bit time consuming; more so than I realized. The Google Document assignment was fun because for me it was much like using PowerPoint Microsoft all of which I was familiar with. The podcast was too fun because I have a BA in Communication and audio and video is a passion of mine. Uploading pictures to my blog was simple but adapting to the insertion of links was a difficult task to complete. Finally, the insertion of links was engraved in my skull and now I like to add a link to every blog. Safe to say that is something I enjoy and will continuously do. I must admit I am not into podcasts and I University. Perhaps because I am a very traditional learner and I can get what I need from classroom experience. However, I see how Pod casts and I University will help some especially if their audio learners. The posts, you tube video's, and professional blogs really enlightened me as a person and a educator. Some of the posts really made me think of my purpose as well how I can become better. One post in particular made me extremely appreciative and grateful for the opportunities life has bestowed unto me.
I enjoyed audacity. That program made me feel professional with voice audio intertwined with music. AWESOME! I especially enjoyed Google Earth that is after I established what to do. It took me out of reality and for the time I was exploring my destination and I actually felt like I was traveling. If nothing else it was a technology task new to me and I think I just may have mastered it. I recommend this project to all history teachers. I think kids would love working within Google Earth.
Comment for Teachers and for Kids was enlightening to see what my co-workers and kids the age of my son are actually constructing. Academically, the U.S. is way behind and commenting for kids inspired me to teach my six year old things that will enhance him academically.
Prior to this class I thought I was technologically literate. I was not. I knew of the basics but this class exposed me to so much more. I know I will incorporate all of these into my personal classroom. All of which I have learned will empower my students and give them a sense of academic independence. My students will grow and enhance. I will definitely stay engaged
with all of these programs and in hopes I will grow and enhance while finding different and easier avenues to complete each task.
The one major flaw I had with this class was knowing whether or not I had a correct understanding of each task. I often wished not that the work load was lighter because seeing as how I was so far behind and manage to catch up and complete each assignment only determined that the work load was not difficult. However, I often wanted the instructors to walk us through the assignments so that we knew what to look for and an understanding of directions. Without the understanding and direction the assignments became foreign and time consuming. I am currently working on my professional blog which is a tad bit difficult and time consuming yet I am so excited to complete.
The one thing this class was not was boring!
I would change one thing about EDM 310. More student teacher interaction, less instruction, and more educating. There is a huge difference in teaching and educating. One whom educates appeals to all individuals within the class based upon, race and gender. This class did not do such and this is an problem within the educational system that steadily exits.
Have a Great Summer!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honest reflection Daniel. I appreciate your suggestions.

    We are all different. I agree that a good teacher needs to know how to reach individuals at the individual level. But a good teacher must also keep in mind that these individuals are a part of the larger group. Walking that fine line is the key. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. For good or bad, life is not like that. Nor will the classes at South be like that in the future. I have written this as a comment to another student's final reflective blog post: Unfortunately, it will never happen. You will see more and more classes at South move to instruction delivered outside the classroom. The budget cuts that are being implemented in Alabama are truly draconian. The luxury of small classes, direct instruction is doomed whatever we may think of it. EDM310 is an attempt to see how to make the best of it in a changed world. We have more to do, but if we do not succeed I fear that classes will become even more burp back lectures graded with multiple choice questions. And that would, in my opinion, be truly disastrous!

    You intend to be a teacher, correct? You will have extremely divers classes. Not just based on race and gender, but also on abilities, experiences, aptitudes, attitudes and interests. The hardest thing you will have to do is try and figure out how to address all of these differences in one class. No matter how much you want to, no matter how often you have been told you should, you will NOT be able to do it. So what choices do you make? Bore the good students and the average students and focus on those who are most behind/ Or ignore the top and bottom and focus on the middle? Focus on girls, not boys/ Or the reverse. Stress multi-culturalins, or focus on incorporating international issues and venues into class. Emphasize technology or ignore it altogether. Your ideal will NEVER be achieved. If you equate good teaching or educating with being able to provide everything to everyone at the same time you are in for a very rude awakening. be forewarned! If I am not mistaken I have offered this same opinion to you on an earlier occasion when you made the same argument!

    ReplyDelete