Sunday, February 14, 2010

V.Day[February 14, 2010] Blog Assignment

Wikipedia
Wikipedia will never be a trusted source site. I was always told by college professor's not to use this as an reference and never quite understood why. I thought until this homework assignment that it was a great source of reference. From the two articles and podcast I understand that someone can always edit information. The only thing that will change as time progress is the history to whom make the wiki information changes. I would pose a question if I was ever present during this conversation. Who established Wikipedia and why was the source open to individual edits?

"What I've Learned this Year"
Awesome summary of a first year teacher. It made me recall my first year of teaching and he actually thought more in depth than me. Curriculum should be student based. It makes it more enjoyable for the class and a joy for you the teacher. Interaction and absorption is what we as educator's crave. I love that my students trusted me. They told me more things that at times I did not want to hear.
Communication is a great tactic to absorb yet in a realistic world not all adults know how to communicate. Some people take directness as a superior attack instead of a mature attempt to solve a situation. There are no perfect teachers is what this blogger summarized. I agree. Teaching is a craft and each student, each year, each school is a different project to conquer. Overall, I loved this blog. No matter the task this teacher realizes his career was not at all about him. It was all about what would he contribute to the future of this world.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, didn't understand fully why Wikipedia couldn't be a reliable source until reading that article. I knew that anyone could edit it, but why would anyone go through the trouble of putting up something terribly wrong. Then when I considered how someone could influence opinion of an opposing business based on a Wikipedia article about them, I realized the extent of unreliability.

    I'm not a teacher yet - I actually just made up my mind to pursue teaching instead of a medical career - so I don't have the insight from a "first-year's perspective" like you have. I enjoyed reading what you had to say about how everything is a different project to conquer. Just like Dr. Juarez says, "You can't just pull out your toolbox for every specificity."

    ReplyDelete