Saturday, January 16, 2010

Jan. 17 Blog Assignment

1. Did You Know? 3.0 and Mr. Winkle Wakes
The Did You Know film actually was creepy. First and foremost the United States is so far behind. Yet we ponder on the notion of Indonesians' making a better living for their lives in our country than we can. Its only because their better equipped in every way. I feel the United States create less babies only because we can not afford a house full of kids. Other countries re running circles around us in population because its safe to say these other countries can provide a lot more than the U.S.
Technology has taken over existence! It will progress as the years grow and that is not a good thing for us humans. Technology to a certain extinct makes us a lazy. This within itself supports why more companies are ran electronically and demand very little labor. The lack there of need for labor limits employment which again is a flaw for the United States. The film forced me to read but more so forced me to become enlighten. May I add the spooky end of the world did not help! I reconsider my second degree because the information I am learning during Spring Semester 2010 will be outdated information in the next three years. Seriously, education has got to find the progessive way.

Mr. Winkle wakes is a preminiton of the future I take it. Meaning, if we don't stay current on technologic trends then at some point we will feel extremely left behind. The basis of education is the same. Teachers format their classroom very much like it was formatted since the beginning of the 19th century. However, while the basis may remain familiar the concepts differ.
Mr. Winkle represent the older generation joining the new. My father, whom is 58 years old finds little need in a Iphone but enjoys learning different software on the computer. I constantly inform my father that the Iphone and the computer are very much, hand in hand. My grandmother, whom is 73 years of age will not attempt to use the computer or a smart phone. The technological age frightens my grandmother and she opts out of using and quickly passes down to the grandkids. Mr. Winkle represents my granny. The world for Mr. Winkle 100 years later was too much for an old man to adapt.

2. Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
This is absolutely the most hilarious film. I had to watch it twice only because I laughed endlessly during the first show. Educating kids out of their creativity is an astounding thought. I asked myself why don't we as educators welcome alternate ideas once we receive what we percieve a wrong idea. We educate our students in one way, from the waist up. Educators become so focused on intelligence that we subtract out the other important factors. Ken Robinson supports this notion throughout his presentation.
Suddenly degrees don't amount to much. Its only because we have to radically revaluate our interpretaion of intelligence. As an educator I need to celebrate what each individual student is good at doing. Robinson influenced me to promote confidence and to assure my student whom may not be great in Math but to notify that student of what he/she is good at establishing and completing. The best thing about this film is it was a confirmation to my spirit. My son was suggested by his teachers and doctor to be medicated. This medication is to calm my son of course. Ken Robinson said something beautiful during this film that calmed me tremendously. Some people have to move to think! This was in reference to Gillian Lynn. I know understand that we as educators have to educate the student's whole being so that their able to face a future we might not see but they will. Awesome Film.

3. Harness Your Student's Digital Smarts
Edutopia is a great way to title this film. You think of Utopia as a better world with more peace and less violence. I think just the same in regards to edutopia; a world complete with better education. I acknowledge the teachers' ability to expose her class to new technologic ideas even if she was not sure of how or when to operate the software.
Georgia's education system allowed the students to work in teams and educate one another. As a mother of a five year old I have come to support that other kids are a better educational avenue than an actual teacher. Students relate to their peers as instant, intrinsic motivators. I think Georgia has a good thing evolving by exposing the rural area to the world and the advance way of obtaining technological data.

No comments:

Post a Comment